“It’s important to remember that acne has both internal and external causes,” says Amy Baker, founder of Nature’s Cure, an innovative health and beauty products company. “However, there are some basic precautions you can take to help prevent breakouts.”
Here are some tips from Baker for people of any age who want to keep their skin clear:
- Don’t pick, pop or squeeze, or otherwise mess with your skin. Squeezing blemishes or whiteheads can lead to infection or scarring. It almost always makes the acne you have worse.
- Wash your pillowcase often and always use clean face towels. Dirty towels and pillowcases can harbor bacteria and germs that can make acne worse.
- Be sure to pull your hair away from your skin when you sleep.
- Try to shower as soon as possible after your workout since sweat combined with skin oils can trap dirt and bacteria in your pores.
- Make sure to clean cosmetic brushes regularly in soapy water and throw out old, contaminated makeup.
- Exercising regularly can help reduce stress and it increases blood circulation and oxygen penetration to the skin, which may help to prevent acne.
- Drink at least 64 ounces of water a day to help "detoxify" the body from the inside out